Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wee Bit of Scottish in Us


(I'm repenting! After talking to some of my friends, I've decided to no longer neglect my blog. Facebook keeps me in the loop with a lot of people, but I'm unable to really say everything that's in my little brain. Oh, and more importantly, share pictures of our families' events.)
This past weekend we went to one of the local Scottish Festivals. We preferred the "no-cost" aspect of Payson's Scottish Festival over Thanksgiving Point's version. Anyway, we loaded up the family and our Scottish expert--better known as Alison (my lovely mother-in-law)--and traversed I-15 to Payson. We made it in good time but were a little too late to see the bagpipe band extraordinaire. Luckily, we got a bit of it at the end.
We found the Highland Games intriguing. Though there wasn't much fast-paced action involved, the kids still seemed caught up in the activities--ball and chain throw (not pictured), dumbbell throw, and "hay" toss.

The best part was to see very robust men wearing kilts. (I guess that's why Ben is so hip on buying one for himself?)
I come from the Clan McAlister (MacAlisdair) and Ben's line from Clan Lamont (or Crawford--just discovered). They were not represented that day, but Roger and Melissa were successful in finding Melissa's Scottish Clan Matheson.


Oh, and we got to see Highland dancing. Grandma says she used to dance over swords too.


[What's an outdoor activity without a little bug sitting on your shoulder. Sammie is covering up the lady bug with her hand, but I thought it was a sweet shot of her face.]



No comments:

Post a Comment