Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Walking, Weeds and Weddings

The only thing these three words have in common is that they all start letter 'W'. Other than that it's just what's been on my mind lately.

Hyrum (11 1/2 months old) teased us yesterday by walking 4 mini-steps without help. He was just standing on the picnic blanket and decided it would be easiest just to walk to me. It was a happy moment for me, his siblings, an aunt, and a few of his cousins. When we tried to show Daddy his new skill, he refused to do it. Instead he collapses to the ground and crawls whatever distance is required of him.

Last night I tried helping my husband with the yard by pulling out a few weeds. Pulling them out was no easy task since the dirt was holding on to them so tightly. I gave up after a quarter of the work was done (of just one section). I decided that the soil has to be cultivated. It has to be moist. It has to be giving. When relating that to my life I realize that we, humans, have a difficult time giving up our weaknesses when we aren't willing to let them go. We have to cultivate goodness into our lives. We have to feed ourselves the word of God and counsel of his living prophets. We have to pray and seek God's forgiveness. Then we can feel the change happen within us and we can give up those undesirable "weeds".

Lastly, weddings! It seems that my immediate and extended families have an unusually high number of weddings this year. Four of them are coming up in August. As I told my nephew, weddings are a great way to lift the spirits of all in attendance and gives us cause to rejoice!! It helps us to remember the promises we've made to our Heavenly Father. It renews our desire to keep our side of the bargain, so that God's promised blessings will be fulfilled in this life and the next. (Hopefully my husband will want me around that long.)

No comments:

Post a Comment